The PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT) is a premier journal series for research relevant to the post-PC era. Computing technology is becoming increasingly pervasive; embedded throughout the environment as well as in mobile devices, wearables, and the Internet of Things. This is leading to a transformative change in the utility that technology can provide to users and societies, and how people relate to technology. IMWUT covers a broad range of topics relevant to this change, such as mobile systems, wearable technologies and intelligent environments. The scope includes research contributions in systems and infrastructures, new hardware and sensing techniques, and studies of user experiences and societal impact. IMWUT also welcomes contributions on new methodologies and tools, theories and models, as well as visionary and survey papers that help advance the field. Specific topics include (but are not limited to):
- Systems & Infrastructures: Descriptions of the design, architecture, deployment, and evaluation of sensors, systems and infrastructures that support ubiquitous computing.
- Devices & Techniques: Descriptions of the design, architecture, usage, and evaluation of devices and techniques that create new capabilities for ubiquitous computing.
- Applications & Experiences: Descriptions of the design and/or empirical study of applications that leverage devices and systems, such as but not limited to applications of computing to health, sustainability, education, among others.
- Methodologies & Tools: New methods and tools applied to studying or building ubiquitous systems and applications.
- Theories & Models: Critical analysis or organizing theory with clear relevance to the design or study of ubiquitous systems.
- Visions & Wildcards: Well-argued and well-supported visions of the future of ubiquitous computing; non-traditional topics, viewpoints and perspectives that convincingly bring something new to ubiquitous computing research and practice.
- Full title: PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies
- Abbreviated title: PACM Interact. Mob. Wearable Ubiquitous Technol.
- Acronym: IMWUT
- Published in the ACM Digital Library (ISSN: 2474-9567)
IMWUT publishes 4 issues per calendar year:
- Issue 1: March
- Issue 2: June
- Issue 3: September
- Issue 4: December
IMWUT is governed by non-paid volunteers: the Editor-In-Chief, Editors, Associate Editors, and the Advisory Board.
- The Editor-In-Chief is one of the Editors with ultimate responsibility for the journal, and chairs the editorial board. The Editor-In-Chief serves a term of 3 years, with an option of a second 3-year term. The current Editor-In-Chief is Gregory Abowd (appointed November 15th, 2016).
- The Editors are appointed by the Editor-in-Chief to assist in managing the operation of the journal, assigning papers to Associate Editors, and ensure a high-quality and timely review process.
- The Associate Editors are appointed by the Editors. They are responsible for managing the review process for individual submissions. New Associate Editors will be added to the Editorial Board each year, with the aim of maintaining an appropriate intellectual, international and gender balance.
- The Advisory Board provides oversight of the journal’s practices and procedures, and is chaired by the Editor-In-Chief. The advisory board advises the Editor-In-Chief on matters related to the oversight of the journal’s practices and procedures. The membership is chosen by the current Editor-In-Chief to represent key communities that the journal serves. The role of the Advisory Board is to provide oversight of the journal and appoint or reappoint the Editor-In-Chief. The current Advisory Board was appointed on November 15th, 2016.